Pages

Monday, January 31, 2011

The Fun-draising

It's be awhile since I have raised money for a cause I care about or an opportunity worth sacrificing for. Its not something I tend to get excited about because asking people for help is always humbling and usually in opposition to "you can do this on your own" mentality that is prevalent in our society. But the truth is, I can't do it on my own. This ride is about helping families get into decent housing so they can have a safe place to call home. If I consider how great this need is both domestically and internationally, I instantly become overwhelmed by the need for resources both physical and financial. However, if I consider that I could help one family, while it may seem a drop in the bucket of the greater problem, its still a drop and a more manageable one.

It is humbling for me to realize that I can't even help one family without help from others, and it is even more humbling to watch my friends and family come along side me to help meet this goal. I put in my contribution and believing that God is both calling me on this trip and to serve others. I have been made tearful and grateful when I see how others are contributing. Its seems partially because of the cause I am riding for but more likely that it is a belief in me and the calling God has placed on me. And anytime one person says to another, "what you're doing matters." it is a beautiful thing and evidence of the work of God. I have nothing to boast about other than that God would have mercy through Christ on a lowly sinner, like me. And then lead me to serve others while doing something I love. And also provide support and encouragement from others to reach this goal, so that there might be one less family without a place to call home. Only God would do that because if it were up to me, I wouldn't have to ask for help. But then I would miss out on being humbled in a way only fundraising seems to do and we would miss sharing this adventure together!

Thank you everyone for your prayers and support!!! I hope that Jesus blesses your socks off too!!!

http://www.fullercenter.org/civicrm/contribute/pcp/info?reset=1&id=94

No comments:

Post a Comment