Pages

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Meeting V

Today I met a woman named V. She is 99 and half and will be 100 in June. I don't think I have ever met anyone as old as her before. Talking with her touched my heart. Her hands were warm and she has a beautiful smile. She told us some random stories about her life making it clear she has seen a lot in her near century of life.

It was humbling for me to meet V. She and her daughter (who is in her 80s) live in a house that has fallen into disrepair. They nor their family have the means to fix it up. So with some fellow volunteers (with The Pittsburgh Project) I went to V's house for the day.

We painted and replaced part of the ceiling which had water damage. I also got to spend some quality time with V's great (possibly great great) grandchildren in between working. Somewhere in the midst of all this I realized as much as I like the practical help we were giving V and her family; it was meeting her that made the day special.

Their house isn't especially clean or nice. There is a lot of work that needs to be done. But even amongst that this place is already a home because of the people who live there. We were just helping to solidify their surroundings.

And that made today a gift. A blessing to me. This is the reason why I ride my bike with the Fuller Center. For people like V and her family. Whose surroundings need a little work to become a simple decent dwelling for the home which could be/is present there.

There are so many people like V, each with their own story and need. And when the opportunity arises for their stories to intersect mine, I am not sure who is more blessed by it.

2 comments:

  1. In truth we are all blessed by it. Especially the people who donate to help us ride. Unfortunately the donors miss the direct contact to actually witness first hand, the miracle and blessings of our outreach.

    ReplyDelete